Monday, September 17, 2007

Ministry of Ripping People Off . . .

To eBay or not to eBay, that is the question.

Everyone I know uses eBay. I have an old college friend that buys and sells on it, and relatives that are addicted to it, and my next door neighbor gets many of her Christmas presents that way. Even my dear friend the teacher has evidently used it and my new friend the artist sells her paintings there. But I have never been brave enough to give it a try.

First of all, it looks complicated to me. I am a "give me the thing and I will give you my money" kinda guy and I don't like having to register and get an account and do a lot of fancy smancy stuff to buy things.

But, also, I am a little concerned that I am going to be fleeced by the anonymous sellers. I suppose it is because I have seen my fair share of scams while doing my job, but I have visions of eBay headquarters being in the same building as the Nigerian Ministry of Ripping People Off. The fact that my neighbor was recently ripped off by a seller who substituted a much cheaper product for what she ordered doesn't help with my confidence. (She still uses it though.)

Anyway, I am looking for that Kodak Printer Dock 4000 and they have several of them on eBay, so I am seriously considering trying it for the first time.