Monday, September 17, 2007

Paying for my nap . . .

It's Sunday night and I want to go to sleep, but I cannot because I fell asleep this afternoon while watching TV. Aside from feeling very much the slug for doing so, now I have to deal with the late night headache and inability to sleep that always follows my daytime naps. You would think I would learn from experience, but people rarely do so why should I be any different.

So, here I am once again watching late night TV and typing in my blog while the rest of my family is sound asleep.

I am taking this opportunity to think (obsess) on all the things I have to get done before Wednesday when we leave to visit my parents for Thanksgiving. It is a seven hour drive, although not a particularly hard one, and we should arrive about 4:00 pm. We could get their earlier, but we have to board old dog and they don't open up until 8:00 am, so we won't leave until then.

I don't have a large extended family . . . one sister and one brother . . . but they have two spouses and five kids between them, and when you add loving wife, my three sons and my parents, the house gets quite busy and full.

Now, this trip will be different from any other since we are staying in a hotel for the first time.

Normally we all fit nicely in the house because it is only two visiting families. But this time my brother and his family are staying there as well. This is because they sold their house and the new one is not ready yet, so they are living with my parents for a couple of months. Since I had to do that very thing when I left the Air Force, I know how crowded the house can be so we volunteered to stay in a hotel.

We did get very lucky in that I was able to use my Hilton Honors points to get two free nights at a local Hampton Inn. Add in the fact that we don't have to share a bathroom with 11 people and I think we came out on top of the deal.