Monday, September 17, 2007

Winter pool pumping . . .

My hands are FREEZING! I just walked in from trying to clear leaves away from a pump we have on the pool cover and in a matter of minutes I could barely feel them. I could be wrong, but I think winter has finally arrived in Tennessee.

Speaking of that pump . . . I hate it. We just put this pool in and because I am a tad obsessive about everything, including safety, I had them install a "safety" winter pool cover. This is the type that actually anchors into the concrete and then stretches across the pool totally sealing it from the elements. A person could walk across it and not fall in, and I thought that would be a great thing since we have several kids living on our street, in addition to our own, of course.

The only problem is that water will collect on it and slowly weigh it down so much that I guess ultimately it might hurt the anchors in the concrete (Now that I think on this though, I guess it would simply sink as low as the water level underneath, but conceding this would end my thought too soon.)

So, to keep this from happening they give us a small automatic pump that you place in the middle of the cover to pump out water when it collects. Unfortunately, the damn thing never seems to turn on and I have to go out and clear leaves from around it and jostle it to get it pumping.

And I thought pools were only work during the summer . . .